1 1/2 cup almond meal
1 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1 teaspoon bi-carbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150 g grass-fed butter or 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
50 g 85% dark chocolate, chopped.
1 egg white.
1/4 cup desiccated coconut.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease a 12-hole muffin tray.
- Mix almond meal, flour, bicarb soda, baking powder, and spices together in a bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs, butter, syrup, and orange zest.
- Add wet mixture to dry, and combine well. Fold through chocolate pieces.
- Pour mixture into prepared tray.
- To make crosses – whisk egg whites and coconut. Drizzle over unbaked buns in a cross shape with two spoons (or using a piping bag)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Best served toasted with butter